I love a good smoothie! I have one everyday. They are perfect for breakfast, a midmorning after workout or for lunch. Throw it all in a blender and with the right ingredients you have super nutritious meal that tastes like a milkshake…win/win! There are lots of different options for ingredients, but I try to be strategic in the ingredients I use. I want it to be nutritious, filling and keep me full for at least 4 hours and provide targeted health benefits, including for the skin.
1. I always start with a vanilla vegan protein powder that uses pea protein. Pea protein is one the most easily digestible protein sources and contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Studies have shown that 20-22 grams of pea protein in your smoothie will help control hunger and decreases levels of Ghrelin, which curbs appetite and cravings. Bonus benefit: it’s good for your heart!
2. 10oz Coconut milk. Any nut milk or water is fine, I just all the anti aging benefits of coconut milk! Coconut milk is packed with vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5, and B6 as well as iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. All good stuff.
Dr. Rahul Nagar, Max Hospitals says, “Coconut milk contains good concentration of lauric acid. Lauric acid is also found in mother’s milk and is known to promote brain development, bone health and immunity”. Coconut milk also has high levels of Vitamin C which helps maintain elasticity and flexibility of skin. It is also rich in copper, and prevents wrinkles, sagging skin andage spots. Who knew? All of this and tastes great too!
3. 1/2 Frozen avocado. I could go on and on about the benefits of avocado but this is the main reason it is a daily addition to my diet: according to nutritionist Dana James, avocado contains monounsaturated fat. This is a good thing. The fat is so tiny it can slip through membranes and protect cells from free radical damage. This enhances vitality and mental acuity, and improves skin texture.
Bonus: Avocados may also improve bone density thanks to the mineral boron, which helps absorb calcium, and a whole avocado contains 14 grams of fiber, which expedites the removal of toxins that can lead to aging. Serious super food.
4. 1 Cup Frozen mixed berries. Virtually all berries are packed with powerful antioxidants that promote healthy cells and protect your body from disease. Berries are also rich in vitamin C, a prominent ingredient in anti-aging skincare. Vitamin C is most effective for improving skin elasticity, brightening dull skin and evening out skin tone. Dark berries, such as blueberries and raspberries, tend to have a higher concentration of antioxidants and as a result, more anti-aging benefits.
*You can also add 1/2C frozen mixed berries and 1/2 frozen banana for a creamier texture. Just be aware that bananas add more sugar.
5. Any other powder or liquid such as collagen or mct oil. I have 2 that I add every day. A packet of vegan collagen booster with hyaluronic acid to help skin build collagen. This helps elasticity, smooth texture, plumpness, and overall healthy-looking glow. And a packet that contains a prebiotic, probiotic and digestive enzymes. We are learning so much about gut health in connection with overall health but it has a significant impact on the brain and the skin. Take care of your gut!
Put it all in a blender and blend. It will be thick when finished. Add about 4oz of water and a few ice cubes. This makes it very cold and the texture of a milkshake. Enjoy!
As you can see, you can pack a lot of nutritional punch into a smoothie. If you’re not on the smoothie band wagon yet, try one this week and see what you think!
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment